Do I let the day go by without mentioning something? Probably not.
It's a monumental day for our friends south of us. Monumental for people around the world to witness. We had the tv on all day for the older classes to watch the Presidential inauguration. My grade 2's are really too young, but I brought them down to see the actual swearing in of President Obama. It was pretty amazing. I had chills at some points in his speech. It's uplifting to see people so motivated and eager to be involved. It's uplifting to think that perhaps this is the man that can ispire change. Change that will impact all of us.
I'm not naive though. I'm worried people are too carried away at the "Romanticism" of this election and all the hoopla. Do they really understand politics? I'm no expert but I do understand one thing. Change takes time. I think President Obama WILL make amazing changes, but I think we'll see many of these changes in a second term in office. I think some people misunderstand process and think that it can happen "overnight" and that because the "President says so," it will happen. Sadly, there are committees and sub-committees to deal with....
You know, maybe I'll stop rambling. Enjoy the moment. I'm proud of President Obama, I'm optimistic even, however I don't want to get carried away in the romanticism of it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm worried too. You gotta hand it to the guy though. Talk about immense pressure and expectations!
I feel bad for those with too many eggs in one basket...
Here, Here Sassy! I think many people agree and share your sentiment. At least I know I do. We are hopeful but, at least in my house, realistic in what needs to happen and what one man in a single term of office can accomplish. I wish him luck and stand by him with the knowledge that nothing can happen overnight!
I have the same worries dude.
But he is kind of dope.
Post a Comment