So teaching first grade has been different in terms of the children being just at the beginning of their reading career. I encourage them to read anything and see if they can recognize any of the words. They think it's great that I tell them to read cereal boxes, and milk cartons, comic books, and just about whatever comes across their path.
Well that bit me in the ass today.
We were walking to the house of worship (aka church...common people stop snickering. I teach at a Catholic school) for our year's first mass (I know I should be thankful for the simple miracle that I don't combust into flames each time I enter). We have to pass a mini plaza. There is a sign at one of the drive ways that says "ENTER".
Some brilliant soul with a marker wrote underneath "If you lick pussy". I noticed it and snickered.
And then it happened.
I heard one of my kids point out the sign. "That says ENTER"....pause..."If you like pus-y"
I couldn't even turn around. I was snickering uncontrollably. I just let it be. I don't think they realized what they had read.
So there you have it folks..out of the mouth of a first grader "Enter if you like pus-y"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nothing like graffiti to warm the heart and be proud of children's accomplishments. There's a big F bomb written on the fence on our walk to school, and I shed a tear of pride when my kids all first learn to read it.
Post a Comment