What a whirlwind of a few months.
Let's see...
Sold our house.
Moved far away.
More like down the street.
Getting settled.
Done.
I thought I'd do a post on all this fertility (infertility?) stuff lately. I can't remember if I mentioned we were back in the saddle again...or should I say back in the stirrups again? It's been a few months already. We decided to switch doctors because our other fertility doctor was in Toronto and that is WAY to far for me to go for all those early morning visits...especially with Mason. I cant' do that to him, or his babysitter.
This new doctor is great. I really like him and his team. Right away he seemed way more thorough. He takes the time (as do all his nurses, who we see more regularly) to explain everything and make sure we truly understand. I was actually blown away when the nurse asked me how I was doing, how Mr. Sass was doing, how we were coping with things so far, etc. When I think about it, it makes complete sense to ask, but it's no something we are used to.
So where do we stand?
We know we are faced with MFI. Oligospermia, and low motility. Through some genetic testing from our previous doctor we know that this is caused (inpart) by a translocation of one of his chromosones. They did some more detailed ultrasound to check for a varicocele. Right away the mister was put on Conception RX, Coenzyme Q10, Maca and last month he took a round of clomid. We must return in a few months for another semen analasis.
I am currently taking pregvit twice a day. It's a mulitvitamin with a large dose of folic acid in it. I'm also on vitamin D3 (2000 iu per day) and a thryoid medication. Apparently my thyroid levels are okay, but they like them lower. If the fact that my thyroid was at a 4 means anything to anyone, then great. Apparently having it lower is optimal for fertility treatments and such. I believe it's at a 2 now? The burst of energy has been nice, but I wake up starving which is not something I am use to!
In the beginning I did the dye test. I went to the hospital and they shot dye into my uterus and fallopian tubes to see if there was any blockage. That was fun. It wasn't bad at all but the damn ladies in the waiting room were making it sound awful. No blockages though!
We also did a post-coital test (PCT)...you can google that one. Nothing like being told to do it in the morning and then come in so the (poor, but kinda hot) nurse can swab your insides. Again: fun.
Last month I took Clomid for the first time. Before I was taking Femara and had an injection in my bum a few times (but can't remember what the heck it was or what it was for, which tells you how much time my last doctor took to make sure things were explained. It also shows how dumb I was for not asking the right questions). With Clomid, I ended up with 7 follicles. I took an HCG shot to force ovulation (although I always ovulate but I guess they just wanted it done?!). I can always tell when I'm ovulating and from what side, so I was sure I was ovulating but to my surprise I hadn't yet. That is when they gave me the shot in the abdomen. I was told that I would probably feel ovulation cramping etc. When the nurse heard I was already feeling it, she suggested that perhaps it would be a little more intense...and that was an understatement! I was doubled over at times and hobbling around all bloated and crampy. I made some comment about now knowing how a mother spider with an egg sack feels!! I was counselled several times on my chances of having multiples which was fun :) I had a few crazy dreams with 7 cribs lining our loft area off our room and the octo mom banging on my door offering her advice (starngly enough she was wearing a naughy nurses outfit..ugh!!). I ended up ovulating everything. All. I was counselled again. It was nice to be hopeful, but always in the back of my head I am doubtful and I hate that. FUCK I wish this was easier.
Anyway, I had some pretty intense PMS as well which was unusual, and I actually made it past 2 weeks so I could get a blood test, but then ol' Aunt Flow came.
This month I am back on Clomid and just around the time where ovulation should occur. I am back in the stirrups again tomorrow :) This time it looks like a side effect of the Clomid is the thinning of my (uterus) lining. So guess what that means? A prescription pill which I get to shove up my "pill box" as my hubby so lovingly calls it...every night for a week.
Fun times.
So I'll keep my fingers crossed, but not my legs.
Giddy'up!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I wish you the best of luck with this. What a tough road it is. I did the Clomid/Puregon/Ovidrel IUI route and had success.
I have admit that I had NO idea that men could take Clomid!? To what end?
Havent' ready your blog in a while... I just haven't been around. So I'm catching up here. I hope you are successful at conceiving and I wish it was easier for you. Good luck! I love your optimistic attitude!
Wow, that comment was full of typos. LOL
Sending you lots and lots of fertility and conception mojo!! Get it girl. I hope the next post is your success story. Good Luck Sassy!!!
How's the baby-making going? My husband and I are beginning the process...and I'm scare but you give me hope!
It's going....slowly but surely. I mean to post an update! Good luck. I'm sorry you have to join in on this journey, but be hopeful and positive! Good luck! :)
Post a Comment