Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stuffed and Starved

This morning I had the tv on to "Breakfast Television" and they had the author Raj Patel on. He wrote this book called Stuffed and Starved which looks at the absurdities in the world's food systems. Just look at how many people are so overweight in contrast to how many people are starving. A fact that really makes you think and made me shudder. It really is sad. I found it interesting that Ben and Jerrys ice cream also owns Slim Fast, and Nestle also owns Jenny Craig. Seems like they get your money getting you fat and then get your money again getting you slim again. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm well aware (all to aware...) that they are not personally standing there shoving ice cream and treats down our throats while we object. We all make our own nutritional choices whether they be bad or good. I just found a little humor (should I be laughing at this?) in the irony of these businesses. Raj also mentioned that the "golden arches" are far more known then the Catholic cross (unless of course you live in Canada, then it would be the Tim Hortons sign that is far more recognized!). I really can't comment or say too much more until I read the book, but it did remind me of a time in highschool where a bunch of us hooligans plastered Whopper wrappers from Burger King all over the front window of Jenny Craig. tst tst.
Hella were you apart of this? Or were you in hiding during a game of CB tag?

8 comments:

The Funky Bee said...

Seriously, it doesn't surprise me...This world is all about money. No matter what the situation or scenario you can trace it all back to money and how companies can make the most...Our tragedies are a source of spikes in the economy. It's just the way things go. Sad but true.

Now give me a cheeseburger and a slim fast shake!

Anonymous said...

LOL...I remember hearing about the whole Whopper wrapper incident...but I think you are right...I may very well have been hiding out for cb tag!

God we spent a whole lotta time playin that game!

Mackey said...

CB tag?
Do inform.

Anonymous said...

smart people I say. They are covering all the bases.
Make you fat then thin then fat then thin!!
I should have thought of that.

Sassy said...

Mackey - sadly, CB tag was when we all had CB radios in our cars (well..the boyfriends anyway) and we'd pick a part of the city and go hide somewhere while someone tried to find us using the CB. Once Mr. Sass found a way to hide his car in a dumpster. I'm sooo proud. He should have left it there if you ask me, but whatever.
So that's CB tag. I know. We were tres cool.

Anonymous said...

I was personally fond of when Mr. Sass and Dev covered the car in so much junk that we were sitting right in front of them and didn't see them.
NOW that was talent......and a little too much time on ones hands to LOL.

Meet you @ Q&R ;P

Cori said...

Hmm, I didn't know about the business ownerships, that's pretty interestig!

CB tag sounds hilarious!

Calvin said...

was it Mickey-D's that owned Subway too? guess how our buddy Jared got that big in the first place!