Whatever happened to the good ol' days. You know, when kids got paper routes. They would either pull along a wagon filled with the papers, or have them stuffed in an over-sized shoulder bag? You might spot them trudging along under the weight from house to house, or speeding down the street on their bikes tossing them hap-hazzardly onto front porches.
A job, some fresh air and excersise.
I didn't really notice how much things had changed until I spotted our "paper boy" delivering one of the local papers (and the one with all the flyers in it - so the only one that makes it to our table!). This chubby fella was sitting shot gun in his dad's minivan tossing the papers on the ends of the driveways. Not to the door. Not even half way up. Daddio just slows right down and he tosses them out the window while slurping on his slushi. I can't even argue that his arm is getting a workout. I'm sure his dad has spent more on the gas it took to make the route then this kid will ever earn.
What happened to "get a job" and actually doing it yourself? Get out and actually walk the route to deliver the papers. Save the planet. Reduce the emissions for crying out loud!
Why am I so appalled at this?
I'm wondering if it's so out of the ordinary or just something unique to this neighbourhood?
Do me a favour. Watch for your paper "boy." Let me know what you see.
Restore my faith!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I would also just like to say that our "old" paper boys were way cuter. They had made a paper delivery wagon themselves out of lumber, wheels and hockey sticks for handles! There is ingenuity!
I don't even think they allow paper boys here anymore. Now it's all grownups in vans throwing them out in the middle of the night. A lot of homes even have a "paper box" situated right next to the mail box to make it more convenient. Sad huh? On top of that, the actual paper is nearly a thing of the past since they are all online now. Even sadder.
well they will not deliver papers where I live because the folks delivering them were hitting to many deer with their vehicles.
But two things affect your paper boy.
1 people are sorry as shit.
2 some goddamn low rent pedophile might want to kidnap and rape and kill them. I would not allow my kid to do it.
Post a Comment