Tuesday, September 13, 2011

And so it starts!!

"I can do it Mommy, I'm a Kindergarten boy!"

Yes you are darling! Mason started junior kindergarten on Monday. We previously had a short meeting with his teacher but Monday was the first day he actually went to class. He was very excited. I was worried that he'd cry like he did when he started preschool.

Mason is coming to my school. There were several reasons for this decision. One, Mason is still only 3. He is not 4 until December, so that puts him as one of the youngest kids in the class. Some of his JK friends will be almost a full year older. In our neighbourhood, to send him to Catholic school, I'd have to put him on a bus across town and there is something about putting a 3 year old on a bus that wasn't sitting well with me. Also, his fabulous babysitter is down the street from my school, and I'd like him to stay with her. Now the honest top-of-the-list reasons? I know his teacher. I know she is fabulous and he's getting a fabulous kindergarten program and a great start to school. I can walk down and spy and peek in and have a little more control then if he was at a different school. He's still my baby. The plan is to put him in his home school for grade 1 so he doesn't have mommy and all her friends checking in on him and telling me everything he does..even the naughty bits. We both need space right?

The first day was pretty good. He came to my class before school and "helped" me get ready. At about 10 min to the bell we walked outside. He put his backpack in the line and played in the yard. Everything was great until the bell rang. When the kids lined up he put his backpack on and started in...but stopped when he realized that moms and dads were not going in! He slipped out of his backpack and tossed it at me and said something to the effect of "no mommy. I'm not going." We had a little discussion and he was handed off somewhat reluctantly to Mrs. Hruby. There were a few tears welling up in his eyes but he went in. I'm not going to pretend for one minute that I wasn't on the verge of crying. I had tears in my eyes. My baby was going to school. He wasn't sure about it. I had to get to my class so I trusted he was in good hands and turned around.
What did I see?
The best friends/co-workers a girl could ask for. Quite a few had come out to see Mason head off to school for the first time. All ready to give me a hug and tell me he was going to be fine :) Margherita had hugs and a "welcome to the club" comment..and handed me a tissue. All morning I was getting calls to tell me that they looked in and Mason was happy, playing, participating, etc. I was so thankful for their love. I didn't want to go down there in case it wasn't going well...that would have made it worse. As it was I tried to sneak a peek at recess and out came Diane with a thumbs up. Her and Mason are buddies. I got to peek in and see him eating snack. He looked like such a big boy! He even survived gym class and was the last person to get tagged in a game. He's a quick little bugger. His teacher gave me a lovely report of his day and he got a certificate for completing his first day. My mom and aunt came for a celebratory dinner that night. Today went even better! I know I made the right decision in sending him to my school...and as long as he's happy, mommy is happy!!

Here are a couple pictures:
Ready to get going!


Outside the house..with his backpack! So cute!


With his backpack (side note: apparently I need to tackle the grass...)

Realizing that he has to go in by himself..and having second thoughts (that's one of my co-workers/friend's daughter in the picture). What a little look on his face eh?!

I'm so proud of you Mason. I hope you have a great year, make lots of friends, learn a lot and have many happy memories of your first school year!

2 comments:

Osbasso said...

Good for Mason!

And good for Mom for not totally breaking down!

Randi said...

Proud of both of you! I can't believe he's such a big boy now... though I think that backpack could take him ;o)