Friday, September 02, 2011

It's that time of year again!

It's time to go back to school. One last long weekend and then it's back to reality on Tuesday.
19 little sets of eyes ( some with tears) will be looking at me, wondering what grade one is going to be all about. I've spent countless hours preparing the classroom to what I hope is an inviting, enriching space for learning and even a little fun.
The summer is a great time to reevaluate the previous year. It's successes, it's failures, how I handled situations, the opportunities I offered, the opportunities I received. In June I was tired. Drained. Ready to send the wee ones off to grade 2. Ready for time at home with my own son. The summer gives me time to recoup. Time to find myself again. Find the teacher I want to be. Give me hope for a new year. I've been filled up again. I'm ready for another year. Another set of challenges, another set of triumphs. A fresh start.
Just like the students (and their parents) who come to me on Tuesday, I have hopes for this year:

That I can give each student the attention they need.
That I can bring out the best in each student (and minimize the worst! haha)
That I can make learning fun.
That my patience is bountiful.
That each student feels like they are valued, cared for and appreciated.
That both students and myself discover new things about ourselves.
That we take risks.
That we create sense of community in our classroom.
That we laugh everyday.
That I can let the little things go.
To seize the moment!

I also hope:
That parents are supportive and understanding.
That I don't unexpectedly run out of lysol wipes or hand sanitizer.
That I don't have so many cases of head lice this year (that shit makes my skin crawl).
That there aren't too many consecutive days of indoor recess (that shit makes my skin crawl).
That we don't have a frigid cold winter where I'm out on yard duty in -25*C weather too often. I may live in Canada, but I don't think I was made for this weather.
That our new principal is as easy going and cool as she appears to be so far....

Here's to a new year!


No comments: