Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eat my dust bitch


Today, we pick up our new vehicle. Not technically "new," but new to us! We bought a 2006 Ford Escape Limited. It's totally jammed with everything you could possibly want. All the goodies, and low kms. Beyond all the fun goodies, the best part was the price.
Those who know me, know I love to haggle. I robbed the place where we bought our appliances 2 years ago. This time, I robbed the dealership. Or came pretty damn close to. We did our research. This particular vehicle and it's 'shape' has a black (or is it blue?) book value of $17 995. Their first attempt at selling this vehicle was the ol' "we'll let it go for a total of $21 995 (or somewhere close to that), and that's including taxes."

No thanks. Not near good enough.

They laughed when I said I wanted it for $15 000 all in (taxes included), AND 4 brand new tires AND rust coated (a must in these Canadian parts).
I'll save you the whole onslaught of banter back and forth between the salesman and I and then the sales manager and I (who apparently thought he could deal with this woman better. He lost.). It was rather comical at points though. It helps that I know a lot about cars and love to argue.

I got the damn vehicle for $15 000, and everything else I wanted.

I also got offered a job as a sales person. Seriously. They offered me a job.

15 comments:

The Funky Bee said...

Hooray for you! Great looking wheels and props for your haggling skills!

I HATE HATE HATE car dealerships! I pride myself on my arguing skills too but I just hate the whole dance. Just give me the fucking car for what I want it for and save me the time and aggravation of back and forth negotiating PLEASE!! I usually call my dad when it's time to buy a car. He will get up and walk out if they don't give him what he wants...they always end you calling him to come back the next day to get the car for what he wants to pay for it!

Mackey said...

Oooo I love you Sass. I loathe salesmen & I think I have made a few cry.
Cool ride but what does the stereo sound like? =)

BTW.....is the baby here yet?
Was it a boy? I bet ya it was a boy.

Mackey said...

Cancel the question. I just read your Facebook.
Glad to hear she is finally through that. What a birth story that will be.

Osbasso said...

You would scare the hell out of me, I'm sure. Somewhere along the lines, I missed out on the getting the balls to haggle.

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

The next time I ever get to buy a car - I'm so calling you!! :) Nice ride by the way!

Thatgirl7278 said...

It's official... you're a badass. That is very sweet ride - I'm jealous. Congrats!

KBear said...

I shoulda taken you with me when we bought the liberty.

i might not have gotten assraped by the dealership assholes.

guh. I suck at haggling

Randi said...

I admire you.
My daddy does my haggling.
Haha

Anonymous said...

You hate the earth
your a bad human
ur footprint is now huge!
what'll Al Gore do with you!
I know what i'd do!
damn I got off message!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't ask for a years worth of free gas :-) And if you need a job sounds like you have it made.

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

LOL! they offered you a job. thats awesome.

good on ya for haggling. i would have also

Sassy said...

Funky Bee - I made it more then clear that I would up and walk and even dropped the name of another sales person at another dealership who was "a lot more willing to negotiate".

Mackey - The stereo is AWESOME!! Mr. Sass laughed and rolled his eyes. Apparently he thinks I'm the only person who would climb into a car to look at it and immediately pump the stereo and preset all the stations I like. It's got a 6 cd changer in it too so I'm ready for the open road! And yes the baby is born. A girl. She had us alll fooled!

Os - For someone without balls, I've told I've got a large set...

Hippychic- Thanks! I'll come haggle for you if you make me some of this gravy I've been hearing about!

Thatgirl - Thanks. Badass eh? Love it.

kbear - How's your ass now? Next time I'll go with you and the boys can watch the kids while we do it right ;)

Randi - Hey if your dad gets the job done why not? I'm going to go haggle for my mom next. :)

Sage - Ummm don't you drive a truck?! :D So spank me. I don't drive all that much anyway =P

JAG - That would have been nice. Free gas. I'll probably go broke buying gas....

jobthingy - I go by the motto of everything is negotiable...or I don't need it.

chesneygirl said...

You go, girl!! Good for you!

I can't haggle for shit. My husband doesn't even allow me to set foot on the dealership with him until it's a done deal. LOL

Oh and sweet ride, btw! Enjoy!

Sheri said...

A friend of mine loves her escape. It's a cool car! congrats!

Cori said...

We're buying a new vehicle next year - methinks it would be worth your plane ticket to get you over here. I think we paid more than they originally asked when we got the van...;)