We had our 6 week check-up at the doctor today. I didn't think anything was wrong what-so-ever with little Mason, but evidently there is. You know I hate that they tell you these things and then say "oh, but don't worry." Right. Mason is everything to me and I don't know what I'd do if something was wrong (frig, I admit that I cried when they took his blood...)
You see, apparently Mason should be somewhere around the 11 pound mark by now and he's only 8.9lbs. The doctor was concerned with the lack of 'grabbable' fat. Pair this with his height and head circumference being slightly below what he had expected and you get a worried mommy. I asked the doctor about him wanting to feed (nurse) every 1-1.5 hours the other day and he said not to worry, it's probably a growth spurt. Then he pulls the little man out and does the check-up and suddenly I have to supplement formula in to try to fatten him up. Who knew something from me wouldn't be fat enough! We go back in 2 weeks to see his weight gain and hopefully get his shots (he can't get them if he doesn't gain the weight). I wish it ended there. Mommy worry turned to worry+alarm+small breakdown in car when the doctor found a heart murmur and said he was going to refer him to a pediatric cardiologist to be checked out. He says it's just to be sure that everything is okay, but in my mind if you pair that up with the lack of 'adequate' weight gain, then maybe there is something wrong with my baby. Is a murmur serious?
I talked to a friend of mine with a son who was born the same weight to see what he weighed at 6 weeks (is it bad to compare?) and to use her for her ability to calm me down. I also talked to my friend K so I could cry a little and just have her listen to my probably insane ramblings. She called her mom and found out that her brother had the same thing as a baby and he's fine and it never limited him.
I guess I just need to hear that it will be okay and that it's probably nothing and that I'm not failing my son as his mother...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
Oh Sass....please hon....please try not to worry. I know that it is easier said then done BUT...I talked to my Mom who is a nurse & these things are extremely common.
I am not saying to not trust your Dr. but on the same hand, don't let them worry you sick.
My Mom said that if Mason did in fact have a heart defect there would more than likely be signs like rapid breathing & a bluish tinge to his skin.
Take a big breath & try not to get ahead of yourself. There is a great chance that this is nothing at all to worry about.
I remember being a new Mom & being so worried about things.It isn't easy at times. That is the thing about loving someone with every fibre of your being.
Wish I was there to give you a hug & to keep you calm.....love you Sass. (((((HUGS)))))
Thanks Mackey..I'm trying not to worry...trying. It's easier to hear from 'seasoned' moms. It makes me feel better. We were originally given an appointment for April 1st but then the doctor looked at his file and said he'd see Mason during the lunch hour next Thursday. He didn't want to leave it that long. Part of me wonders why there was a sudden push forward, but then again, I'd only worry until April so it's better to deal with it now and hope that it isn't anything.
Thanks again ((hugs))
I can only assume that they are pushing it forward because they are dealing with a 6 week old infant. I would think if Mason was older that they may have waited until April.
I am glad you are going next week. I would go absolutely insane if I had to wait to April. Ad I am sure you would too.
Its tough not to worry but as much as you worry it helps nuttin. It can't be avoided though and is natural for a parent to worry. I fuckin hate it when my kids are sick or hurt. The murmer thing is probably real common, if he had been alarmed he'd have had you go directly to the heart guy. The weight thing could be nothing, maybe his metabolism is higher than most (a good thing so he doesn't end up a fat boy at 36! If you are breast feeding maybe the juice doesn't have enough calories or sumthin. Your gonna worry so worry, he'll be okie dokie tho. You haven't failed as a mother either, thats crazy. Good luck sexy, I'll be pulling for him.
jsull
First big giant squeezy hugs. My little Riley has a heart murmur too. They found it when she was younger, and now the only time they really hear it is when she is sick with a fever. Doc told us it is fairly common and not to worry. She runs and screams and all that normal stuff. I am sure they just want to check him out cuz he is so new. It'll be ok. I don't know why they get mommies all worried about weight all the time. I was always told that as long as the baby was gaining - they were good and didn't need supplement. BUT - with Riley - something just wasn't working out, and at 8 weeks we switched her to formula and we were both much happier. It's ok if you do both, or one or the other. I know you will worry, but go to the appts and put your mind at ease. I will just tell you, even with baby number 3 - it never stopped being scary. Now you just lean on other moms and family and friends and somehow we all will manage to get our kids all grown up together. More hugs.
Sass-a-frass,
Dr's look on the bad side of things so that when things turn around they look like the hero (and they don't get sued).
i know it's hard (and you'll think i'm an ass for saying it) but try and relax. remember that stess can increase lactic acid in the blood stream, and while you might not notice it, baby mason might.
remember to stay on your diet so your "knocker necter" will do the most good for the kid.
and besides, when when's back home visiting from college and eating you out of house and home you'll look back fondly on these days.
God I wish I had a blog when my kids were wee babies.
LIke Bec said.....we will raise them togther....you are part of the Mommy Club now.
All for One & One for All
:)
my friend's daughter was born at 6.11lbs.. a month later, she should have been almost 10 or something, but she was barely 8lbs.
she wasnt doing anything wrong, however, her breast milk just wasnt providing enough nutrients.. she started putting formula in there, and she gained the weight quickly.
i was the same way. i couldnt take breast milk, and i couldnt take certain formulas. it was hard for mom, but in the end i was just fine.
my crazy SIL has a heart murmer.. she seems to be fine.. she just milks it a lot. i know a friend of mine has one too, and she leads a normal, happy, active-filled life..
im sure he'll be alright love.. it's so NOT your fault!
Hugs!! My nephew had a hole in his heart, and that didn't even require any sort of intervention, and he's now a big burly 14 year old. Like others have said, try not to worry (stress will effect milk production). Also, google the weight gain chart for breast fed babies. The World Health Organization has two charts, one for formula fed babies, and one for breast fed. Dr's usually only use the formula ones http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/growthcharts.html Babies who are expressly breast fed metabolize milk more efficiently than formula, so they don't pack on the pounds as much. Not saying to discount info from the Dr, but they are notorious for not being up to date with breast feeding, and will tell you to supplement at the drop of a hat.
Being a mother is what we are geared to be as soon as that baby pops out - be strong, you're doing fine, and Mason will be super duper, just you see!
My sweet, sweet Sassy. You will NEVER fail your son as a mother. You are too good a person to do that. I'm no psychic but I have a feeling things will be fine. Thank God you found out sooner than later right? Early intervention is generally a good sign. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for you.
xoxoxo
To Everyone - Thank you so much for you love and support. You've really made me feel better and hearing from parents (and non-parents too!) has really helped ease my worry and stress...so rest assure Exile my knocker nectar will be just fine. Cori- I'm going to check out that weight chart now! Thanks again to everyone! Love you all :)
i also heard - cause they did this to my sister in law, that when there is trouble breast feeding when you are in the hospital, they actually HAND YOU A BEER!!
apparently there is something in the beer that helps breast milk?
look into that;)
Oh!!! Goo dluck to little Mason and you... I gues syou can't just give the lil guy a few cheeseburgers, huh? Seriously, good luck. I hope he started growing more and that the heart murmur turns out to be something non-serious and just a passing thing.
Sassy - I completely understand your worry, how could you not? BUT, I also had a "heart murmur" as a baby that hasn't amounted to anything and didn't even remember until I went to the doc as an adult and she told me the same thing. It could be as simple as an irregular heartbeat, which LOTS of people have. And hey, maybe Mason just simply needs to be fattened up. That happens too.
I would love to say don't worry but that's just not practical. I know you will, and you have every reason to - he's your baby! But things will be fine. I'm praying for you and Mason but I know things will be okay!!!
Sending positive vibes & lots of prayers your way today.
I think today is the day Mason goes back to the Dr.s.
Let us know when you can how everything turned out.
((((hugs))))
Ok sass
I used to come here on thursday to see ur sexy pics but I came today to see what the doc said. Wasn't your appt today??
Do tell
jsull
i miss sass-a-frass
where art tho?
Hey sweetie.....hope everything is O.K.
Let us know.
Damn sexy
tell a cracker sumthin!
still pullin for the lil fella
jsull
Post a Comment