Monday, August 18, 2008

1 week and counting

I'm starting the daunting task of packing for our trip to western Canada.
I'm such a "make a list" girl. I make "to do" lists all the time...and then forget them. I make "to do" lists about "to do" lists for Pete's sake. Back in University my roommate and I had lists all over the place...such eager beavers....(minds out of the gutter boys..and girls).

Anyway, the first thing I did was make a list of what Mason will need and I categorized it, "feeding, bathing, etc etc" Does the word "NERD" come to mind? Yeh.
So I spend a good hour making this list and haven't even started to actually pack anything. I could have probably finished in the hour I was typing things out (not a spreadsheet though..not that big of a nerd).

I have to be honest, I'm scared of flying with the baby. What if he cries? He is into everything and wants so badly to be on the move (he's such a wiggle room) that sitting still or in one place doesn't seem to be on his "to do" list these days. Argh. I'm worried about the time change too and adjusting him to the 2 hours difference. I know it will be okay and we'll survive. I plan to take the bull by the horns...Any advice though?

8 comments:

chesneygirl said...

I make all kinds of "to do" lists too. And then I lose them.

and sometimes? I'm *THAT* big of a nerd using a spreadsheet. *blushing*

Sorry not much advice on the traveling with a baby. We've never taken ours on a plane yet and never taken him out of our time zone to date yet either.
Good luck tho!!! :)

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

We didn't do squat with the babies until Rye was like two - even then - we drove, so it was hellish. Quickly learn how to change the diaper on 2 inches of seat while squished in between the two seats... standing up... bent over.... plan on flopping out the boob upon take-off!! :)

Osbasso said...

A short shot of Jack Daniels would be my suggestion for flying. For him, not you. You have to be alert and aware. He can just pass out.

Or just flop the boob out for the whole flight. I'll bet you'll be able to hear a pin drop the entire trip!

Can you tell I'm not a parent???

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

heh.. eager beavers..

huh? oh yeah flying with baby. throw him on the boob on the way up and on the way down. it will keep his ears from popping.

as for the wiggling, i have no clue. Speedy has yet to be on a plane.

i make lists also.. but i certainly dont type them out.. im old school. pen and scrap paper.

Anonymous said...

put me on the list and leave hubs off............

Kittie Kate said...

I don't know. How old is the baby?

Pacifier? just bring every comfort you can think of.

KBear said...

ever thought of singing "wheels on the bus?" lol

that's the only thing I can think of. Keeping him occupied. Connor's good about being in his car seat, so i think he would be ok on a plane, with the exception of his ears..

i don't usually mind babies that cry, as long as it looks like the parents are trying. it's the babies who are small infants who are screaming, and the parents are reading or sleeping or whatever that bug me.

when i went on my honeymoon there was a small boy. maybe a year old, or a little older. he bawled his eyes out on takeoff and landing, because he had this HUGE bear that went with him wherever he went, and since it was so big, he wasn't allowed to have it at those times. he would scream and cry until he got it. people were complaining, but you could see the mom was trying. enticing him with other things. as soon as the seatbelt sign went off, he had his bear and was quiet the whole way til landing.

you should be okay. just keep him occupied.

Sassy said...

Chesneygirl - At least you are a lovable nerd then! Some people can get away with it ;)

Hippychic - Boobs? Check.

Os - We are ready to spike his milk with JD. You'd be a good dad with advice like that!!

Jobthingy - Ohhh I make lists all over the place: computer, scrap paper, my phone. I need a support group.

Sage - Top of the list you go!

Kittie Kate - He's 8 months. I have a list (shocking) off all the toys and comfort items I want to bring on the plane (and in general)...I wonder if it will all fit though.

Kbear - At least there will be 2 of us to occupy him. I just hope people are as understanding as you!