Saturday, January 21, 2006
To Each Their Own
So like a loser I am sitting here thinking about last weekend when I helped a friend move. In the last year, three of us have moved into new homes. We all seemed to have very different ways of moving our belongings from one house to another. I know this sounds odd. You would think that everyone moves in the same way. Pack boxes. Move boxes. Unpack boxes. Not so. My friend K, opted for the I'm just going to throw most of it out/give it to charity. If I miss it I will replace it, I just don't want to move it all. Me, I followed suit by giving a lot away, going through a lot of stuff and meticulously packing boxes. Each box was labeled with an idea of what was in it, and what room it would go into at the new place. I was always able to find what I was looking for (I'm very proud of that fact!) The joke on moving day was that everything ended up in the basement. Didn't know where to put something? Put it in the basement. My house is organized, no clutter (for now) and well the basement is...ummm semi-organized, but livable. Finally, friend N moves last weekend and yet another "style" of moving emerges. We get there and there are very few boxes (???). This was a take-the-drawer-out-as-is and move it move. She also had every single original box to every nic-nac and shoe she and her husband own (where was she hiding it all in that tiny apartment?). Lots of little things to move (which was good for the back), but also we moved about 20 pounds of dust (sorry if u ever read this N...u know I love u). Atleast the little dust bunnies only got a free ride to the truck, before they were cleared out. I'm not judging, it's just funny how 3 very similar people have different styles of moving. Bottom line is we all got moved without incident (minus the heavy rain for me and wind storm and sub-arctic temperatures for N!)...so cheers to that! Happy moving to anyone in the process!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Well, I just moved to my new apartment 3 months ago, and GUESS WHAT??? I do keep the original boxes 4 everything i buy.So they do help.However, i do throw lots of things away but this irritates my husband.He doesn't like throwing anything away.His point of view is: If i dont need it now, i may need it later :-)
hehe, i also follow the move-stuff-in-the-drawers method.. and everything else gets tossed into boxes and suitcases! unfortunately we were moving the day Hurricane Katrina's remnants hit up here.. so it was a royal pain loading and offloading mattresses and stuff!
best regards, nice info » »
Post a Comment