As a teacher, I'm always looking for new ways to motivate my students (or 'con' them into learning something/being a good person, as some may view it!). If they are motivated, then I think they try harder to master something, and if in the process I can make things fun, we all win.
Motivation in general is the 'encouragement' to do something. Maslow's theory of the hierarchy of human needs (oh yes Brock girls..I did just bring up Maslow. You thought you'd never hear of him again eh?) is one of the most popular theories that discusses motivation. Basically, human beings have wants and desires which influence their behaviour. Only those unsatisfied needs can influence behaviour, satisfied needs cannot. Since there are many needs that a person has, they are arranged in order of importance, from the basic to the more complex. Once one level of need has been met, the person moves up to the next level. One of the higher levels is self-actualization.
I'd like to think that I try to foster the self actualization in my students...or atleast set them on the right path towards it! They are after all only 8 and 9.
According to Maslow a person in the self-actualization stage has the following characteristics:
- They embrace the facts and realities of the world (including themselves) rather than denying or avoiding them.
- They are spontaneous in their ideas and actions.
- They are creative.
- They are interested in solving problems; this often includes the problems of others. Solving these problems is often a key focus in their lives.
- They feel a closeness to other people, and generally appreciate life.
- They have a system of morality that is fully internalized and independent of external authority.
- They judge others without prejudice, in a way that can be termed objective.
(for those of you who care...I stole this word for word Wikipedia)
So there are my thoughts today. I don't quite know why I have been thinking about motivation. Perhaps it started with me looking for ways to motivate myself to keep fresh for the kids even as the end of the year approaches. I look for ways to reward the kids both intrinsically and extrinsically and have come up with some pretty hair-brained ideas in the process. Whatever works I guess. I think I also am missing being on the 'other side' of the desk. Parts of me (albeit small parts) miss being in school...and actually miss all this gobbleygook we learned about. Hence, the thoughts on Maslow.
I also realized that if I take a minute and think things through I can perhaps string something somewhat intelligent together (atleast it makes sense to me!). This coming a day after I wrote about porno tongue...geesh.
I'm sure I'll be back to myself tomorrow....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
THE MASLOW THING YOU PUT HERE SOUNDS JUST LIKE MY MADDY..SHE IS ALL OF THOSE THINGS AND IT`S GREAT JUST TO WATCH & LISTEN TO HER..THE ONLY TIME SHE IS NOT LIKE THIS IS WHEN SHE IS AROUND JOURNEY, THEN THEY ARGUE ALOT AND SHE CAN`T SEEM TO FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING MODE FOR HERSELF IT JUST TURNS INTO TATTLING ON ONE ANOTHER CONSTANTLY OR MADDYY YELLING AT JOURNEY(3)AND THEN I HAVE TO STEP IN AND TELL HER NOT TO TREAT HER SIS THAT WAY AND THAT SHE DOESN`T LIKE IT WHEN I YELL AT HER SO JUST STOPIT ALREADY. I SWEAR THEY DRIVE ME INSANE WHEN THEY ARE TOGETHER BUT SO GOOD WHEN THEY ARE APART. MY BROTHER AND I HAVE A 5 YR DIFF BETWEEN US AND YEAH WE FOUGHT A LITTLE BUT NOTHING LIKE THEY DO....I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT!!!GOT ANY SUGESTIONS?????
Sounds like they are being typical kids is all! They will find their place together and hopefully it will give you some peace too! Your Journey is still coming into her independence and out of that 'baby stage' and that may be frustrating for Maddy, who may still see her as in need of sisterly "help"...I dont know if that makes any sense outside my head!
I would just try to encourage your children to work things out on their own too...but I know at this age they still need you to help them along. Give them some tools to try to solve problems, express feelings, use their words etc.
How old is Maddy?
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »
Where did you find it? Interesting read http://www.breast-enlargement-8.info/breastaugmentationoverthemuscleunderthemuscle.html cookingschools com culinary school seattle26cooking26school
Post a Comment