Friday, May 12, 2006

We got this new student yesterday. It wouldn't be such a big deal except with one student, I find myself humbled. I'm not sure if that's even the word to describe it. Leveled? Who knows. Maybe I'll come with a better way to describe how I'm feeling. Either way, this one student has had such an impact on the students/staff around him. I find myself silent with thought these days.

He has come to us from Sri Lanka, not speaking a stitch of English. This is not so uncommon in Canada I guess, and especially for a town so close to the airport. I met him in the morning while he was working in the special ed room. He greeted me with the most beautiful smile and such shy eyes. How scary it must be to be in a new country and not understanding half of what is being said or even perhaps understanding the way we do things. I noticed that he was paying close attention to not only the students, but how they interacted with each other and with teachers. He watched us teachers while we talked and helped students. So eager to learn.

I was handed his 'file' and told to read it. My breathe was taken away. He has come to a tiny basement apartment from his home country with his mom and dad. He had 3 smaller brothers, who were all lost in the Tsunami. Reading that one line, brought tears to my eyes. Here is this beautiful boy who has experienced such pain, then moved to a new country and is surrounded by things he doesn't yet understand, yet he goes on. He smiles. Here are our kids, lucky to never have faced anything like this and to not 'want' for anything. 14 years old, and experienced so much.

His story however has put a face to that disaster for us, and for the kids. It seems so distant, intangible when we watched on the news. He has made it more real for us, if that makes any sense. As a school we did extensive fund raising and other benefits, however to meet someone to live through it, and see his courage is mind blowing.

The kids are wonderful. His class was told of the situation, and have gone out of their way to make him welcome. Students who are normally so self absorbed and cruel have had that edge taken off of them. They all want to help him be comfortable and learn. They have no real idea what loss he has faced, but they do know they want him to be happy. Even the 'toughest' of the toughest students have been humbled. This new friend has already taught them so much and he hasn't been here a week. They are eager to show him the computer, their music and anything of interest. They find ways to communicate. One student even found a list of phrases in Tamil, since no one at our school speaks this language. The students are learning with him. He learns the English and they learn Tamil. (**anyone speak it? We could use some help!**)

The road ahead will no doubt be bumpy, but I wish the best for his family.

3 comments:

Calvin said...

wow, you brought tears to my eyes too with this one. all the best with the new kid, and may some of his strength and warmth spread to all of us :-)

Mackey said...

It has been a long time since I read a post that made my eyes fill with tears but this one did it. What a wonderful but sad story.
We are so spoiled here in North America & when you meet someone like him it really makes you realize how fortunate we are.

Anonymous said...

mythreyee is tamilian. she might be able to help u. though, tamil nad tamilian might differ from sri lankan tamil.