It seems like there is a lot of discussion about farting lately. First it was Mackey's blog, then Kari's blog. Earlier in the day yesterday a kid passed gas in class quite loudly. It was quite funny, and man was he proud of himself. I just wished my windows opened further. What do they feed these kids today?! Windy Wednesday no doubt!!
Just when I thought the air had cleared of this topic, it comes up again at work! We got talking about farting in front of friends and significant others (and no, I didn't bring it up!). Real intelligent I know. However, I may be of the opinion that nothing is off limits to talk about, and I may just find the actual accoustics of tooting quite amusing. It was interesting (well, interesting as far as fart talk goes) that more than half of the staff don't let it rip in front of their significant others. Even more said they would never crack one off while with a good friend or a group of friends. Have they never lived in a dorm or with roomates? Wouldn't you just explode one day?! What about my married/common law chums? Do you honestly climb out of bed to go fart? Or do you just silently let them slip out and pray they don't stink? Some said it was just nasty and impolite. Others said they knew their friends/SO's so well that all formalities go out the window, including leaving the room to pass gas. I guess it really depends on your view of farting.
It seems to have become less taboo then when perhaps we were growing up. As a society, less and less seems to be taboo these days. Look at the topics of discussion on tv/movies/radio. The language that is allowed in media now could be called appalling (I know this is coming from someone who has been known to cuss a blue streak...but come on people, kids listen to it), not to mention the sexuality and violence. So in the grand scheme of things, farting seems to be so minor, especially since everyone does it (even you Nicole, stop denying it. I know that was you in third year who farted in the car and tried to blame Keri). There are even a few books out, that being slightly juvenile and finding some humour in this topic, I do read them to my students. I enjoy the Robert Munsch book "Good Families Don't" and the "Walter the Farting Dog" books.
I don't mind if people fart in front of me as long as they excuse themselves (mostly this applys to the kidlets after all it's just good manners right?), don't hold my head under the covers, and let me crack a window or grab a kleenex to blot the watering eyes. I also don't want to see a skid mark on my couch when they get up (okay I know I just crossed a line here).
I'll save the talent of being able to identify a culprit based on smel,l and the excuses that fly when someone does drop a stinker for another day. You can thank me later for that. Until then, I swear it wasn't me. It was the asshole behind me.
Will you or won't you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
There was a topic months ago on someones blog re: drive by farts. You know, like when you are in Walmart & someone quietly let's one out & then scoots off.LMAO!!!
I am ashamed to say that I have done those once or twice but have been victim more times than culprit!
it dus depend on how close u r wid da person(s) in da room... widin my family, its abs fine 2 fart, but u shud always raise d alarm early enuff 2 prevent excessive damage :D widin my frenz circle, v gen dont claim, altho such occasions havnt arisen all dat freq :P n wid regard 2 da SO i havnt found yet, cmon! how long can ya keep slippin out 2 d anoder room?! dese kinda things mite give rise 2 sum humorous occasions strengthenin d intimacy (ahh... how philosophical.. *pat my own back*) :D
Aw well you have probly figured out that my family is a bit twisted, so farting is acceptable pretty much anywhere but the bathroom. It's just polite to fart at the table and see how loud you can get them on those wooden chair seats, usually becomes a contest - my dad always wins... but the one thing I hate the most is when I am in the shower and PPHead comes in the bath just to FART and I have to smell it while Im trying to brush my teeth - then it's all out war and I wait for him to get just almost asleep and fart by his head - he really thinks that is sexy!! :)
As a gas passer, I'm pretty free w/those close to me, friend and family included. As for the s/o, that takes time. Eventually it'll happen but you don't want it to be on the first date you know? My mom "held it in" til after she and my mom were married and when it finally happened (accidentally mind you) my dad said she cried. lol
hehe, you certainly do pick up the most colorful topics to talk about don't you!
i think it's all to do with how well you relate to the people.. farting is free for all at home with the family, but i'd kinda take some time with the significant other until she was significant enough, y'know what i mean..
@ Mackey - ohh I've heard of those! The best is that as girls, if we are with guys, we can crack stinky ones off and chances are strangers will look at THEM like they did it! hehe
@ mythreyee - how philosophical is right! You're nice...only the privledged get a warning!
@ kshippychic - my family/friends are the same..I can't act all proper (its a sham!) I hate when my hubby comes in and farts in the bathroom/shower..the hot water makes the smell that much worse!
@ Kari - as do I my dear...as do I!
@ randi - the first time I farted in front of the s/o the poor guy got it in the face cuz he threw me over his shoulder! Its been downhill since then.
@ the outlaw torn - I do find some
interesting things to talk about dont I? And I do know what you're talking about! hehe
sassy,
its funny to look at people's changing expression when they realise somebody has farted.. first thing we do is look at each other... one person raises the alarm.. then two things happen.. we either laugh... or we hold our breadth until we get a chance to move from that place... god help u if u are in a lift or any other closed enclosures...i have no problem admitting....
@ bunky jumping pundit - it's so true! I have to say it's usually laughter around here...and I will own up to it too....
Post a Comment