Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sad Reality?

I took an informal poll in my class after having a conversation with another teacher. I asked how many students ate dinner as a family and talked (as opposed to in front of the tv). Shocking! Out of 19 (8 and 9 year olds), 3 said they regularly eat as a family. (side note: I could add that these 3 students are strong students and well rounded...a correlation? Probably, but who can say for sure?). I asked what the others did...they took their plates to their rooms to watch tv or play on the computer, others ate alone in front of the tv as other members of their families scattered around the house, and even still, some kids said they had to get their own dinner that their parents left out for them whenever they were hungry! What is wrong with this picture?! What happened to sitting down with your kids and asking them how school was, or just plain talking?! It's no wonder a lot of these kids have communication and attention problems (among an increase in other learning problems)! What are they learning by sitting alone in front of the tv or computer? They don't even get the chance to bond or connect with their parents, which is a shame because many don't see their parents a lot because they work so much. Maybe I am too traditional in this sense, but I think that a family should atleast eat together and talk for 1 meal a day, especially when the kids are so young! I wonder if this is as common other places...I hope to hell not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great site audi s4 and chat