Monday, June 26, 2006

Canada is spelled with 3 'ehs'

The English language is a great language. I hear it's fairly hard to learn, but I couldn't say for sure. I love languages and could sit and listen to anyone speak another language for hours, trying to pick something up. If I had my way, I would be learning as many new languages as possible. Complete immersion would be best! So if I win the lottery, look for me to be traveling all over the place, soaking in some culture and language...and probably food too.

Even within the English language there is differences depending on where you live. Words that are used in the UK are different then in North America, and even differences between the USA and Canada. Sometimes I wonder if we are speaking the same language!

There are some clear words that are "Canadian" such as:

- eh: It can be used as so much that it can't really be summed up! (soooo guilty of over using this!)
- hoser: insult, hoser = you tool!
- touque: a winter hat (pronounced too-k)
- chesterfield: couch, but really only old people say this.
- serviette: Hella tells me that this is 'Canadian'. It's a napkin.
- poutine: fries with gravy and cheese. Our french friends love this with their cigarettes (that's not a stereotype at all..lol). I'm sure it's not really truly Canadian..but had to add it in!
- "dick all": nothing. Apparently this is not said in the USA?
- mickey: a 9 oz bottle of liquor. Ditto as above?

You ever notice that we put the letter 'u' in a lot of words too? Humour, neighbourhood, favourite....I say we over work ourselves printing that extra letter! This makes going through 'spellcheck' a pain in the arse.

The best is, as Canadians we love our Tim Hortons ("Timmys"). Not such a shock if you've read my blog before. However, the phrase "double double" has made it into the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. It refers to how you order a coffee: 2 cream, 2 sugar = a double double, if you're really not sure what the heck I'm on about. No kidding eh?!

So, for the love of the English language I have a little question for you!

What do you think is the dirtiest word in the English language?
Funniest word?

My votes are in the comments..you know I can't go without my 2 cents!
Mr. Sass' two cents seem to be the words "mud" and "filthy". Thank you.

14 comments:

Sassy said...

So..my votes?

Funny word: Spackle
Dirty word: Cunt

I could list a few more, but those are the first draft!!

Anonymous said...

Funny Word - Chamois
Dirty Word - a few favorties are: Cunt, discharge, fuckery and queef!

Sassy said...

yes those are all dirty!
'queefer-sneefer' could go in the funny word too I guess...lol

Dead man walking said...

I cant even bring myself to say those! Geez..lol..

Funny Word: Tomfollery
Dirty Word: Scrotum (Just sounds so WRONG for some reason..)

And you Canadians owe us an explanation for Red Green..Felt like I was watching a bad 80's sitcom or something..

The Funky Bee said...

Dirty - probably Cunt although I have to admit I use it often, I mostly call stupid bitches "cunty" - I have a foul mouth - so what...

Funny - cornicopia (I actually hate that word)

from your list - American's do not say "eh" (obviously), toque, chesterfield, serviette, poutine, dick all, but we do say mickey. We actually have mickey's beer but generally that would be called a poney. As for "hoser", always makes me think of the two canadian beer dudes from the 80's, can't remember their names now. Okay, I think I'm done now ;O)

Mackey said...

Red Green???? ewww!Trailer Park Boys...now that is funneee!!!!!

Mackey said...

Funny word- Doppleganger(sounds very kinky)
Dirty word would have to be Cunt. Geez...I even hated spelling that one!

exile said...

funny word: Galoshes
dirty word: Pussy

but the thing is, i love pussy. it sounds so welcoming, and, if you visualize it in your minds eye that's the sound that your mind's ear hears.

Thatgirl7278 said...

Funny word: poo
(as in shit)

Dirty word: Cum
(it just sounds dirty when I say it out loud - and you know I do, every day.)

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Sassy I'm with you on the dirtiest word. I WILL not use it, not even when joking. I hate that word!!!

Funniest word: Waffle!

:D

Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

This is SO weird and interesting. I never hear any of y'all's Canadian words here! And no, dick-all doesn't really get much play here, lol! Although, fuck-all has similar meaning and has migrated over from some Australian friends that I know.

A weird, old-person word for couch here is banister, which is equally strange to yours.

Funny word: onomotopoeia
Dirty word: fag (it's often the spirit in which the word is delivered that makes it extra dirty...several compound words make the list like shithole and cuntface)

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

I love listening to Mackey talk - cuz she says "eh" all the time!! LOL! Ya'll don't say cement like we do either - seeeeeement! We had a whole discussion on that one! I think the dirtiest word would have to be cunt, and the funniest one for me is divan - another old people word for couch, which they keep all covered in plastic!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Oh yeah - finally I get to know what a touque is! This brings new meaning to the 12 days of christmas by those one guys!

Calvin said...

funny word - punani!! and ye know i love me some!

dirty word - hmmm, nothing really!