Sunday, June 11, 2006

Do raccoons commit suicide?

We moved awhile ago slightly north of a big city. I'll save you all the reasons why, but I have found one reason why I may not enjoy it so much now. There is a long dark road north I must take. A beautiful drive during the day, but horridly dark at night. I happened to notice lately the amount of roadkill on the drive. So many unfortunate pieces of smashed ass littering the street. Poor little critters. I never thought I would add to the carnage.

It was about 1:30 last night when I was heading up that long stretch of road, happily listening to a little NIN, gettin' down with my bad self. That's when I saw the eyes in the distance, frozen in the middle of the road. The fattest and possibly the largest raccoon I have ever seen was in the middle of the road. I slowed and swerved slightly into the other lane trying to avoid it, but that bugger had a death wish I guess. I saw it look at the car, then it ran right for it! Suicidal raccoon!

Sadly, I hit it. I hit it good. I wasn't sure what I should do. Do I get out and make sure it's dead? Check my car? I opted for no on both for a few reasons. One, if the raccoon wasn't yet dead, I wouldn't be able to finish it off, to put it out of its misery. Two, like I said, long dark road late at night. Girl by herself. Not stopping! I decided that I would check my car at the next gas station to make sure there was no serious mechanical damage. It felt fine so I continued. I called Mr. Sass and he and a good friend came to check on me. My car faired extremely well compared to my raccoon friend. There was a large dent in my front bumper skirt decorated with a bit of fur (but no blood or guts or anything nasty), but it was easily popped back out, leaving only a few minor scratches. Not bad for my little car and the size of that coon!

I didn't know how I would react to killing an animal by accident. I thought maybe I would freak or something, but I was strangely calm. I get more upset seeing those truck loads of chickens or pigs going to the slaughter house. However, my emotions hit me during my sleep. I kept dreaming of raccoons. Little baby raccoons alone in their homes, crying for their missing mommy. A raccoon on its way to visit a dying uncle raccoon when VROOOOM! Gone. An expectant raccoon trying to find a place to have her babies...it was tormenting! Restless sleep, cold sweat.

I'm sorry raccoon. I didn't mean to kill you.

NB: I had these cute pics of raccoons to post..but damn blogger won't let me...grrr! Maybe I'll be able to add them tomorrow...for a little comic relief of this tragic situation.

5 comments:

Mythreyee said...

awwww... thats sad! dont torment urself, hon.. guess sum things cant b helped. i kno of a frend who tried brakin at da last moment on an inter state highway, seein a dog in the middle of the road.... n u kno how it is here.. seatbelts rnt in vogue.. its considered a luxury. the car rolled over 3-4 times, smashin up every piece of glass there was, throwin out the 2 guys and this friend had to have his hand stitched up and still bears heavy scars from the accident.

ok, i wanted to make u feel better, guez iv not done a gud job! n hey, use imageshack 2 upload images.. works gr8! id love 2 c sum baby racoons.. :)

Randi said...

i once hit a seagull on the freeway because it was either that or hit another car or drive into the ocean. i cried when i saw his feathers flying behind the car.

Robin Alexa said...

Awww that sucks.

Sorry about that...

Those pig trucks KILL me. They are smarter than dogs, and if my dog was shoved in there with a whole bunch of dogs he would know something very wrong was about to happen.

KILLS me.

The Funky Bee said...

raccoons are gross. They feast on my trash on a regular basis. They are big, fat, rodents...YUCK! Can you come here and kill some of mine?

Calvin said...

oh well, when one has a deathwish what can you do eh?