Saturday, June 24, 2006

Do you want some snot with your fries?

I worked as a waitress for a few years while I was in university. I actually really enjoyed it. The money was great (for student work!) and I like talking to different people. During those years, I did come into contact with people who were the epitome of rude and ungrateful. There were also days that I really didn't want to be there, but unless you were one of those rude customers, you would never know it. As a waitress, I didn't even make minimum wage, but it was because whatever tips I made, I kept 100%. The better you are, the more tables you can have, so some nights I was laughin!

I hated working Sunday lunch shifts, because the church groups would come in. I'm sorry but the church goers have a bad rep of being cheap and demanding. They ask non-stop for things and complain about everything. Very Christian like if you ask me. The kick in the groin is they hardly ever tip, and when they do it tends to be 5% or less. At best I would sometimes get a card with some gospel value written on it and some reference to Jesus being a servant of God. Umm..you just made me your friggen servant and I'm not seeing any thanks or worshiping of me! (Is that blasphemous?) Giving a generous tip is the custom in our society. It's a way of thanking your server for good service, if in fact you got good service! It just seemed like a slap in the face after busting my ass to make their meal enjoyable. After a year of this, I had enough seniority to ask them to leave me off that shift. I could make more pan-handling downtown or fishing in the pond for loose change.

I can appreciate the work servers do because I have done that job. When I go out, I am sympathetic when problems arise. I don't like to be demanding, but I do expect you to be pleasant. Mr. Sass and I tip very well when things are good (although sometimes I think he may tip a little too well when the waitress is cute!). I have also learned that when you do encounter a really grouchy server, it's probably best not to be rude until after you receive your food. I remember joking about how people should know better not to be mean to me until they have their food. If I was that kind of person, it would be all to easy to drop their food on the floor, or spit in their soup, or worse.... For that reason, I smile and nod and be overly nice when we encounter a shithead server, because I know there are some people who would mess with food if upset enough. I'm just sayin. You can never be sure.

So there is my two cents on servers for today. However, I can't resist leaving you with a joke:

What's the difference between Christians and canoes? Canoes tip.

17 comments:

Amethyst Rising said...

I, too, having worked for wages before tip over the usual amount - and if the sesrver is a very cute male, I am guilty of tipping even more...lol What can I say...
I bartended once in a VFW club. Easy job, no one ever drank anything fancy, but those old guys ould toss me a quarter and think they were doing something, after drinking all night...

Dead man walking said...

Thank you for pointing out these simple facts of life. During my brief stay here in Seaside Beach, I picked up shifts at the local restaurant because the tips equalled around $300.00 a day. Great money, but if I had to deal with one more jerkhole who was supposed to be relaxing on vacation but instead was busting my ass just to leave me a dollar, I would have gone "Rambo" on someone. It's a thankless job, but keeping a good attitude while serving brought me much money, so I guess it evens out!

Dead man walking said...

By the way..I got MUCH higher tips from the packs of women on vacation. A few drinks and they were practically handing over the purses, so it does indeed happen.

Randi said...

Those people need to be called out on being cheapskates. Damn bible bangers.

Mythreyee said...

being in india, u tend to be a lil miserly sometimes n here v always wonder y waiters expect to be tipped.. i mean, its their job to wait on us and thats what they are being paid for by the management, rite? :P but i do agree that no matter wat, u cant be rude or snappy or too demandin as a customer...

Distant Timbers Echo said...

It's amazing how contradictory many, many Christians can be. They can't help it, I don't blame them. The Bible is their guidebook and it is CHOCK full of contradictions.

It's interesting that you post this, that you are now compassionate toward those in the Service Fields because you were once one of them. I think that is very metaphorical toward life itself, that we would never have compassion for others' pain if we didn't go through pain ourselves.

I loved this post!
Always,
Jas...

Anonymous said...

Honey....your post is the exact reason that you REALLY need to see the movie Waiting!

spitzer said...

Amen and Hallelujah! I worked as a waiter in Utah and although there were some generous tippers, the majority of them were on Sunday. p.s. mormons don’t eat out on Sunday (at least the good ones don’t).

Calvin said...

you still haven't watched 'Waiting' have you?! hehe.. you'll loooove it!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Yup - I have been the waitress, working for $2 an hour here, plus tips. I being the airhead that I am, was ok, but I would forget things.... Like this one time, I had an older couple come in, ate their entire meal, and then they let me know I had forgotten their salads... I was horrified, but they had such a great sense of humor and they said, "that's ok, we will just have them for the last course and pretend we are in Europe" apparently they do that there? And they still tipped! I had the run ins with the real asswipes, but the worst group around here was always the AA people!

exile said...

i always want to rearend one of those cars with 50 "jesus" stickers on it then when when get all pissed off ask them "what would jesus do?" then remind them that it's "un-christian" to bring our insurance into this.

i remember when i was with my ex she used to tell me that when people left a bad tip she'd stop them at the door on their way out and ask them a million questions abotu the service. i guess guilting a tip out of someone works.

Sassy said...

amethyst rising - it usually works in your favour when ppl (especially men) are drinking..I've gotten some preeeety nice tips that way!

shane - it is a thankless job, but damn the money can be good! and I bet you DID get some serious tips from women hehe

randi - lol cheap is right! Maybe they just put all their change in the basket at church?

mythreyee - you have a point that it is their (our) job to serve,but when we get a reduced wage (below minimum which here was $6.85/hr at that time) under the assumption that you will primarily make tips to live off of, it sucks! You never look forward to payday b/c you dont make much without tips! And no amount of money makes up for snotty shit faced attitudes!

redneck nerdboy - thanks! and yes, I sadly have more compassion now that I have worked in that line of work....what's that they say about walking a mile in someone's shoes??

Hella and Outlaw torn - Yes, I know it's why I need to see Waiting. I know I will love it..but you both know how I am with movies! summer is coming and I have a feeling I will be wearing a spot in my couch if Im not carefull!!

spitzer - lol hmmmm do mormons tip when they do go out? Does one make money in the bible belt of America as a server?

hippychic - I'm surprised that I didn't forget more things, I actually got into quite a groove most days which is probably why I liked it so much. However, those times I did screw up it paid to be cute/funny about it. Make em laugh and they forget they are upset!

exile - lol..Your ex had a great idea! I should have done that!

Kari - "fucktard" thats a new one to me. I love it. I will use it well! LOL

Sassy said...

Christ on a bike! I'm spent now after all that responding! Someone get me a drink?! Wait on me for once! hehe

exile said...

she used to get pissed that the girls with the big boobs used to get all the tips. i suggested she should "pad her assessets" and she got upset.

personally i'd carry a role of quarters in my pocket if it ment i'd get more money

Sassy said...

exile - no kidding! You have to work what you got if you want to make some money, and when in doubt, add to it! unfortunately, I don't need to pad my girls!

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info tutorial for modeling a 3d golf club On-the-spot acne Heaters for terrerium Inuyash having sex with kagome Refrigerator sale dickies pants Becky mature proactiv soloution australia Hp inkjet fax toner msds Zone alarm anti virus find someones auto insurance company proactiv sample distributors proactiv adviseur financial planning rent car holland netherland Best medicare supplement insurance agency http://www.jenn-air-double-oven.info/exhilaration_pants.html coffee maker pool table

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Baggallini backpack Rhinoplasty in akron ohio fibromyalgia topamax Medicare supplement plan f Tropicana casino + atlantic city Eddie bauer baby backpack