Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Empty pockets!

I've been debating getting a second job for a few months now. I've called about 2 very specific ones only to hear the position had been filled. I can't sleep when I know there is debt, and it worries me to think if an emergency came up, we might have to borrow money. It's not a huge debt, but it's debt none the less. Maybe I'm crazy to think we can live a fairly debt free life?
The problem is I don't know what I want to do for work. I've debating tutoring (and would seriously do it if the opportunity came along), and even going back to waitressing (quick, easy money at something I know I'm good at). I don't want to wear myself out or to do anything that would impact the energy I have for my full time job. It just seems that I have so much on my plate right now, one more thing might be too much, yet I really can't deal with this debt! I just wish there was some quick and easy way to make money, short of winning some gross amount.

Any ideas?
And no..any jobs in the sex trade industry are out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

debt free is the only way to be!
you can do it, I hated being a slave to debt, it doesnt bother some folks but it sure did worry the hell out of me. the only thing I owe on is the house you just have to set your mind that having stuff isnt as good as being out of debt. when your out of debt you have another thing, money, then you go buy stuff!
you could do it without an extra job too, sell some of that shit you/he doesnt use anymore and dont buy the shit u dont need and the best simple thing you can do is budget and to save your money pay ONLY with cash.
good luck
js
(i had a hermit crab as a pet when I was a kid!)

KBear said...

what about trying to get a job where you ride? put up flyers that you are willing to exercise peoples horses.. talk to the barn owner first of course.

thats what i did.. i worked horses on the weekends when things got really rough when i first started school.. ??

Thatgirl7278 said...

Easiest 2nd job ever = Answering Service.

Ahem... no, not Adult Sex Operator (altho, that sounds pretty easy too), but a real answering service. Trust me... extremely easy.

Uhm... or you can try a bookstore or the like.

Also - my feelings on debt: It's a reality, accept it, live with it and keep up w/the bills. Don't let it get you down! :)

Randi said...

There's no such thing as debt free.

The Funky Bee said...

Uuggh, I go through this same scenario in my head every few months...God we have no money, maybe I should get a part time job, blah blah blah. It always comes down to the fact that I don't want to be worn out, I barely have time for myself and my husband as it is and we'll make the current situation work. I applaud you if you can handle having two jobs. It takes a strong, focused woman. I can't do it...

Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

I'm not an expert, but prior to some financial emergencies this year, I DID keep a great handle on finances. So you can take or leave my advice on the debt subject. I filed a bankruptcy this year, but it was strictly due to hospital/medical bills which NO ONE could have paid but the extremely wealthy. What I CAN tell you is that if you can get to that point of having NO debt, it IS the way to go. Right now, I don't even have a credit card!!! Can you imagine a life like that? It has been such a change, but it can certainly be done.

I'd suggest reading some of those books by the famous authors (Suze Orman for one..she's really pro-woman and knows some of the issues that face us specifically).

Finally, I don't know your professional background, but is there anything you could do as a freelancer? Tutoring would be sort of like that I suppose, and you'd probably be great, so why not!? If you had to for a short time, would you consider a retail position? Sometimes those are really flexible is what I'm thinking, cuz they're used to people working part-time and can always use the help. It's not glamorous, but it might help.

:)