Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pet peeve #319

I'd like to clear something up. Two words: Borrow and Lend.

Borrow: to take or obtain with the promise to return the same or an equivalent: "I'd like to borrow your hammer so I can bash your head in."

Lend: to grant the use of something on condition that it or its equivalent will be returned: "Could you lend me a pair of panties? Mine are wet."

My pet peeve is not that people want to borrow things, or expect me to lend them anything. No problem there. As long as you ask properly.
I can't stand when people say the following: "Can you borrow me 5 dollars?"
The word is LEND, not BORROW.
I can't even explain the rage I feel when someone says "borrow me."

Now that that's off my chest, I feel much better.

What phrases or bastardization of the English language tick you off?
Or am I the only one that cares?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 hit me often
ok first I do have to say that crackeronics is NOT proper english and thats what we speak here. But still my pet peeves are these 2 words.
Ideal used this way
I had a great Ideal and nobody would listen to it. (i want to pull my fucking hair out when they say this)
and fanthom-this might not even be a proper word but the correct word is Fathom.
I can't Fanthom how someone could say "can you borrow me 5 dolla!"
(ok this makes me want to choke to death on my own vomit.

there 2 that drive me insane and i hear them often.
I doesn't get why noone don't learn these people some english ;)~
huked ohn foniks wurked fer me!

Osbasso said...

Nothing worse then the misuse of the words "then" and "than". ;-)

NeverEZme said...

Hey sassy can I borrow your pet peeve!!! I'll give it back when I am done with it. hehehe

That is one of my pet peeves also, along with someone crunching their popcorn at the movie theater.

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

I sometimes hate the way my Texas born Arkie raised PPHead husband talks out loud. (and chews, and breathes... but anyhow) I hate it when he says "I looked at it TWICED an nothing is wrong..." TWICED?? Or I need a new fishing PO. No dummy - it's POLE!! He calls his mom an old BATTLEACK - derrrr its battle axe. It really makes me want to smack him in the face with a can of peas.

Becky said...

We had a girl working in our collections department that would call on all our accounts and ask them when the end of their PHYSICAL year was instead of FISCAL. And when we tried to explain to her the error of her ways, she told us we were idiots.

KBear said...

the misuse of then and than is also a pet peeve of mine.. also, when you use double negatives... or
my favourite!!!

i ain't done nothing wrong!

it's I HAVENT done anything wrong!
or Ive done nothing wrong..gr!

oh.. btw - can you borrow me your tmi you left on my blog? i thought it was hilarious!

Butchie said...

Yet instead of still and disrespect as a verb make me angry.

Hollz said...

lol maybe it bugs you cause your a teacher....anyways next time you come down can i borrow 5 bucks?

g-man said...

As one who routinely bastardizes the English language for a cheap laugh, I really cant stand when one mispronounces a word, and then refuses to be corrected. Case in point my boss says mute, vise moot, and when you ask "Moot?" he gets all uppity. He also says fillet as 'fill it' and fear God if he tries to say anything in a foreign language. Like fa-gee-ta. He is however a great source of interoffice entertainment. "SO do they make a fill-it mig-non fa-gee-ta or is it just mute?"

Mackey said...

OMG Sass!!!! That makes me crazeeee too!
I also hate it when people use the word AX instead of ASK.
For example..." Ya Jerry, I just wanted to AX you a question." WTF????
Give ME an AXE you stupid moron so I can whack you in the head with it!!!!

Randi said...

My nephew's mom says: I'm going to take Ethan a bath.
WTF? Either take a bath or give one. The end.

The Funky Bee said...

I HATE when I sneeze or do something warranting a thanks and you're welcome exchange and the person says "YOU welcome". It's You're or YOU ARE welcome, not YOU welcome. What is that? that really pisses me off!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I dislike the word "Efforting".

"We're efforting that project as we speak, sir."

I find that butt-kissing and stupid!

Okay, I'm done.

Regal said...

Mine is not so much the misuse of the english language or a particular word as much as the following: "I don't mean to offend you but...." Gosh - that's rude, isn't it? So anotherwords, you don't mean to but you're going to anyway??? WTF?

Thatgirl7278 said...

Yo - same wavelength, I was just in mid-post about a current pet peeve and then I clicked on your blog and BAM! pet peeve.

Seriously.

That's crazy.

KBear said...

regal..

i say that ALL the time.. sort of..

does "im sorry if this offends you..." count?

also, i say "in other words" as opposed to "anotherwords"

ive actually never heard "anotherwords" before.

it may be stupid, but does anyone know, for curiousity's sake, which is correct?

just for my own mind:D

Shora said...

Oh, man, don't get me started! I'm TOTALLY anal when it comes to this stuff. All of the above, and a favourite of mine "I could care less". It's "I COULDN'T care less". If you COULD care less then you're saying you care. Sheesh.

DINK said...

WHEN SOMEONE SAYS " I`M GOING TO THE LIBARY" OR " I PLAYED VOLLY VOLL LASTNIGHT!!!!! UGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sassy said...

Jsull - I'll have to listen carefully for those ones!

Osbasso - Ummm yeh..I probably do it often. I suck at those differences and the difference between effect and affect. Bright teacher eh?

neverezme - hehe...I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets ticked at this one. Argh!

Hippychic - Too funny. I'm mailing you some peas right now. Videotape it.

Beckyd - Perhaps this girl gets "fiscal" at home with a partner?

Kbear - All valid pet peeves. I suck at the then/than tho..and effect/affect. Oh and I'll borrow you any TMI you want...lord. I threw up a bit in my mouth saying that.

Butchieboy - I hear you. I hear disprespect used as a verb almost daily at work. Bleh!

Hollz - for a back rub you can borrow anything baby!

g-man - Like schedule and vehicle. Those ones drive me nuts too.

Mackey - OHH I HATE that too. It's right up there with "sangwitch" but that one makes my laugh more...

Randi - Never heard that one. Have you enlightened her on this?

FunkyBee - You have a point there. People really fuck witht his language eh?

Redneck - I tried to respond using that word..I just can't do it!

Regal - Like the "No offense, but..."

Thatgirl - We are on the same wavelength...hehe.

Shora - I love that one! I never really thought about it! I just hope I don't say that....hmmm I don't think I do. I practiced saying it!

Dink - I am the queen of over enunciating things and "libary" is a pet peeve of mine too. And "lit-ature"

Robin Alexa said...

Thanks for GIVING me a movie. That was nice of you. ;P