Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Further bastardization of the English language:

Last week I went on about my pet peeve of the whole "borrow" me something, instead of using the word lend. This time, it's occurred to me how much I hate the misuse of the word "scissors." Actually, it's more the word "scissor."

Perhaps I'm wrong on this one, but it irks me right to the core of my being. Instead of saying "could you get the scissors for me?" or "we'll need a pair of scissors to cut this," I hear people say, "could you get a scissor for me?" and "we'll need a scissor to cut this."

Is scissor not a singular version of the word scissors? Wouldn't that actually work out to be half a pair of scissors then (and be totally useless)?
It just sounds wrong to me.
Am I wrong, or is this actually the correct way of asking for something that cuts?
Someone borrow me a dictionary so I can look it up. *sigh*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive never heard that
and we butcher shit down here
the correct term is s(howeverthefuckyouspellit)s
plural
2 sizzes
hehe

who has kerm been fingering????
mrs pig i suspect!
js

Osbasso said...

Interestingly, "scissor" is a verb.

Suck Me said...

I've actually never heard anyone saying "scissor" before. Maybe that's just a Canadian thing but to give you guys props at least you spell words correctly like coloUr and humoUr not like those silly Americans who drop all sorts of letters ;-)
To my American buddies - I'm just kidding. Love all you guys :-)

Suck Me said...

And wouldn't one scissor be a blade :-P

Sassy said...

JS - I love the fact that you pay attention to what I write in the labels.

Osbasso - is it really?!

Suck me - I don't think it's a Canadian thing..unless the newfies say it? Yeh..we do spell things right don't we? hehe And yes one scissor would be a blade. Someone tell that to my MIL.

The Funky Bee said...

I thought the proper term was scissors. Not sure about the whole "scissor" thing.

Robin Alexa said...

Maybe they are talking about the Scissor Sisters?

Sassy said...

Binsk - Hmmm "Pass me the scissor sisters to open this box"...I don't think so. Retardedness.

New word.

KBear said...

the only time i have heard the word "scissor" is when you refer to the "scissor kick" in swimming.. or when you cross your legs around someone when you're rough housing and it's deemed the "scissor maneuver"

other than that.. it's pass me a pair of fucking scissors!!!!

mehehehe..im in a cranky mood..they took my computer.. i have to borrow one..:(