Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What can YOU find in Photosynthesis?!

If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have got out of bed this morning. What a day. I won't bore anyone with all the details (especially if you heard it already!). My favourite part of today was playing a word game with the kids. How many words can you find in "Photosynthesis" They love this game, and I'm well aware of some words lurking in there. We compete each week with the other class, and my class kicks some serious ass at this! The kids never found penis (the first time in 3 years!). The other teacher allowed the word shit, but they had to spell it s _ __ __ and declare it as manure...whatever. Clearly I'm not that cool to allow them to use it..hehe. I did however allow, "hottie" since I found humour in watching an 8 year old use it and then try to explain to me what it is.
I did not allow the following suggestions (and yes they were all made):

*Italics are this kids responses...

1. piss "its just another name for pee..." ummm no!
2. ho "we have hoe" "no ms. a ho like a girl and a pimp. you know..ho!" ummm no!
3. shit "it's a swear word" "it's still a word and I hear my mom and dad say it all the time" ummm no! (for the record they didn't actually 'say that word' but let me know what they were thinking)
Again, clearly, I'm not as cool as the other teacher. Maybe next year...if there is a next year.
4. pot "we have pot" "no. the other kind of pot, the one you smoke" "spelled the same way dear...Moving on."
5. tit "that's a slang word." "You allowed poo" "yes, but this word isn't a very nice one to use when we are 8" "I'm 9" "or 9..or 99 okay? No tit!" (I'm laughing at this point).
6. tits "nooo what did I day about that word?" "but if you allow it we can get 2 words: tit and tits and thats 2 more for our class' score!"
7. tities "NOOWAH!" "but, that would make it three" (insert kids calling out "titties, titties, titties") "Besides you are short a 't' for that form of the word."

The game came to an end shortly after that. I can tell when things are getting a little off colour. Okay, I should have put my foot firmly down earlier so I didn't have chants of "titties" echoing in my room. My class was out of control today. I think they have had to many supply teachers in the past week that they think they are still on vacation from me. It wasn't a total loss. We found 187 words and beat the snot (a word that I DID allow) out of the other class!
Oh yeah..who's cooler now?! In your face!

**You can direct any comments, letters and complaints to the blue basket by my desk. I'm sure it will be full tomorrow! **

8 comments:

Mackey said...

Hey!! I left a comment here & now it's gone!!???

The Funky Bee said...

ha ha, sounds like you have a fun class! TITS TITS TITS!

Sassy said...

Mackey...What happened to it?!?!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Heeeheeee!! I'm afraid I was one of those kids who would have been chanting "penis!" Oh wait, I still AM! LOL! *heading for the principal's office now*......

Mackey said...

I dunno???? Into the Twilight Zone I guess?!
It was just a comment about loving kids silliness....I am a firm believer that being silly is the key to longevity. Serious people die young.

Sassy said...

Ohhh Mackey! I found it! Its in the previous post! I want to jump in puddles too! I love to get silly with the kidlets.

Mackey said...

D'oh! I am such a blonde!:P

~art said...

You gotta allow tits!!!